We've had a full and fun summer, blessed with lots of giggles, park playing, water fun, friends and family visits. In early June, you stayed with Grammi and Papa in Marysville for the week to attend Vacation Bible School at the Methodist Church. It was a new experience for you and Grammi said it wasn't always easy to drop you off and leave you crying at the door, but once you calmed down, you seemed to enjoy it and certainly learned a lot. You're still singing some of the songs and came home with a big bag of crafts, just like I did when I was little! One of your summer highlights was (of course) your birthday, which we had at the shelter in the park up the street. We wanted to make a great memory in that park so that whenever we drive by, you'll remember being surrounded and celebrated by your loved ones when you turned 4. It was a HOT day, but we had coolers full of water, tea and lemonade. We ate pizza, snacks, and one of Grandma Jeanne's famous cakes (a princess castle with waffle cones as towers). Grammi and Papa helped us set up (what would we do without grandparents?) and lots of your preschool friends, neighbors and other loved ones came. When it came to pinata time, we couldn't figure out how to hang it, so Daddy used jumper cables. It was hilarious, and it got the job done! The weekend after your birthday, we took a family vacation to Colorado. You and Jalen had a blast. We stayed in some "all-American" motels along the way and you bonded with Uncle Mark's daddy, Mr. Davidson, who we stayed with in Denver. We also spent time with Auntie Tami, Uncle Dick and Aunt Nan, Canyon and Autumn in Golden. You've grown to know and love them very much, just like Mommy does. We saw the Royals and Rockies play a game at Coors Field and enjoyed a great fireworks display afterward! Back in KC, we visited the farm of one of Daddy's friends out in the country. They have their own cow for milk, chickens for eggs and a huge garden. You and Jalen ran all around, blew bubbles with all the kids and had a blast. At the end of July, you and I picked Grandma Jeanne up in Leavenworth for a girls' weekend. We headed for Lincoln to stay at Aunt Julie's, picked her up and headed to Columbus to meet Aunt Kathy at Grandma Seal's. We spent the weekend playing with all your favorite toys at Gma Seal's, visiting old cemeteries to learn about some of your ancestors, eating at favorite places (Glur's -- your Great Grandpa Walt's favorite hangout), shopping at thrift stores, and seeing some of the places that were special to Daddy's family when they were all growing up. They also taught us songs that GGpa Walt taught them when they were little -- Mares Eat Oats and The Handkerchief Song. You loved that we set aside this "girls time" and we plan to do it again next year for our third annual visit! Even though I've been so busy with my work, I've been trying to spend as much one-on-one time with you as possible to help you know how precious you are to me (Daddy does this too -- he spends a lot of time helping you to discover your inner-strength and building your confidence in different ways.) You continue to play pretend every day. Yesterday we got the entire Muppet Babies cartoon series from the 1980's in the mail. I ordered it because it was all about using imagination and heaven knows yours is incredible! (plus, Daddy and I LOVED it when we were kids.) You continue to grow, overcome fears, try new things (with a little nudge from us!) and reach out in new ways to the people around you. Lastly, my favorite new tradition we've started is each night you and I climb the stairs to my prayer room and light candles to pray for our loved ones and others in the world who are in need. It has made our prayer time very special. You choose 2 towns on the world map for us to pray for each night and then you climb into my arms in the rocking chair and I hum you the lullaby your Great Gram Eileen used to sing to me when I was little. We both savor this time. I can barely hold you on my lap anymore, but I will do it as long as I can until you're ready for me to let go.

No comments: